Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Immunity

Mark and I spent a couple of hours in the ER Monday night because I was running a slight fever. Because I'm immune compromised, my oncologist doesn't fool around with infections so she advised us to go straight there when we called her around 10pm. It's incredible that we were able to get a hold of her so easily, and she is an incredibly dedication and generous person for being available at that time of night. At the hospital, they gave me 1000mg of Tylenol and did a bunch of tests- a chest X-ray, two blood draws (one from the arm and one from my chest port), and urine. In the meantime, my fever came down and the first tests didn't indicate anything beyond the viral/cold symptoms I've had for a week or so. I should get information about any possible bacterial infections from the blood cultures they took by Wednesday night, just in time for my next chemo treatment that's scheduled for Thursday. This is the last week of classes at WMU, and I'm doing my best to keep up but not really succeeding in that effort. I'm disappointed that I will be taking "incompletes" in 3 of my 4 classes, but also very grateful for the compassion and flexibility my instructors have offered throughout this situation. Next week is finals and then I'll have a little more time to take care of myself and also will be less exposed to people in a recycled air environment which may have contributed to me getting sick last week. I spent most of the day today in bed, doing some emailing but mostly just zoning out. I hope to be a little more productive tomorrow but I also want to continue to conserve energy for healing my body.

No comments:

Post a Comment