Wow, it's been a LONG time since I added to this blog. I looked back at the last entry and realize I may have left some readers hanging. I've been busy and not really wanting to think about cancer and what I've been through over the last two years. I'm so grateful to be cancer free (as far as I know) and living in a body that enables me to do almost anything I want. The only physical reminders I have of the experience are the scar on my neck, my curly hair, some photos, and the fact that I don't have any children yet. So in reference to my last post, I can share that the IVF cycle was not effective. I started the injections and within 5 days the doctors recommended that we stop. When we did an embryo retrieval before I went through chemo, my estrogen levels rocketed from 72 to 330 to 1300 during that 5 day period. This time it went from 5 to 12 at the maximum dose of stimulating hormones. It was a very sad discovery, but I coped with it by reminding myself that if it had worked it would've just been a bonus. It was worth a shot... pun intended. The good news is that I've continued to have regular periods since then so I'm not giving up hope that we'll be able to at the very least use our frozen embryos. Once I get through the next transition (see below), we'll see what strategies are available for us in California.
As I may have written previously, I've been taking self-portraits, with the help of photographer Dan Morgner, since my diagnosis. Next week I will install an art exhibition of some of those photos and some prints that I made during the same time period. Here's the postcard that I designed for the show:
When I take that exhibition down, I will set up my Senior BFA exhibition. Then I will graduate, wrap up my job, pack up the house, and move back to California. It has been and will continue to be a wild ride. I'm so grateful for the time I've had in Kalamazoo. What an amazing place filled with great people!


No comments:
Post a Comment