Saturday, January 24, 2015

One year of cancer free-ness

I just realized that my one year anniversary of being declared in the clear has passed. Last year, at this time, I was healing from having my central port removed, which was the first sign from my oncologist that she didn't expect me to need treatment in the near future. I am grateful for the fact that this anniversary came and went without me even noticing it, which is a privilege not always afforded to cancer survivors. I had my first 6-month checkup in November, which is essentially a physical exam and bloodwork, which showed no signs of recurring disease. It was tough to be back in the cancer center, remembering what it was like to be there for treatment, seeing other people who are "in it" and scared about the future. I was aware that I wasn't the highest priority patient that day, and remembered how much time the doctor spent with us at my first appointment. While it was strange to have her not spent much time with me at my check-up, I was aware that other people needed her more than I did. Since I will be moving to California in 2015, I will need to find a new oncologist to continue seeing for checkups. So it felt weird to have little closure with the person I relied on so heavily during my initial diagnosis and treatment.

No comments:

Post a Comment