The journey of Erica Barajas: artist, musician, community organizer, sister, daughter, and wife.
Monday, February 2, 2015
Homecoming
Two years ago, on January 23 at 3:30pm EST I received a phone call from the University of Michigan. I was informed that the tissue removed from my neck included cells identified as Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. At the time, it was not clear what kind of NHL it was, and there was a possibility that it was a "double-hit" variety with a not-so-good prognosis. Within a few weeks, we learned that it was Diffuse Large B-Cell NHL, which is the most common type of NHL. More than two years later, I am healthy and am moving back to California to join my biological family. Tomorrow is our last day of a 5-day drive from Michigan to California. We've had four adults, two vehicles, and three cats in the caravan. Today I listened to a few lectures by Eckart Tolle from a CD that was given to me back when I was going through chemotherapy. I hadn't listened to them until today. A few things that stuck out to me were the phrases "Begin Within" and "Can I be the space for this?" I'm looking forward to some rest and play time once I'm settled in back in Northern California. According to a good friend's post on Facebook, Kalamazoo threw a "snow tantrum" after I left on Friday, dropping about 19 inches of lake effect over two days. I'm sure it's beautiful and that it's allowing people to slow down and be careful. I'm also grateful to be heading towards warmer weather. I've come to respect the Michiganders and their resilient attitudes towards deep and long winters. I think I'll miss the strongly defined seasons of the great lakes region, and I look forward to noticing the subtle changes in Northern California throughout the year. I'm returning to my home state with new awareness of food justice, race, and racism as well as internal dynamics such as mindfulness, prayer, and gentle loving. The cats are ready to stay in one place for a while after coping with new settings each night and spending all day in their respective crates and carriers. What a beautiful country we have! Today we passed through red rock and volcanic mountains, came close to seeing a meteor crater, and saw a pink/orange/purple sunset. I'm feeling a little scattered and probably just need to get to sleep for our last day of driving tomorrow. Good night!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment