Tuesday, January 29, 2013

PET Scans- not a Veterinary Procedure

Had my PET/CT scan today. It was a surprisingly relaxing experience since I was equipped with music and an intentional mindset to focus on creating an inhospitable environment for those wimpy little lymphoma cells. I have not been eating refined sugars since my diagnosis (cancer <3 <3 <3 sugar!) and had to cut out all sugar and carbs for 24 hours prior to the scan, so my blood sugar was nice and low- 72 mg/dL. There were no physical sensations associated with the scan, and at this point the radioactive glucose they injected me with has either decayed (half-life of 2 hours) or I've peed it out. I had to sit for about 45 minutes to let the solution get to where it needed to be before they could scan me. The actual scan took about 30 minutes, and was uneventful except for the slight nudge of a car backing into the mobile scanning unit in the parking lot. During those waiting times, I took the opportunity to meditate, breathe, and send hostile messages to the cancer cells and encouraging thoughts and images to my healthy cells. After the scan, we got to take a CD of images home with us but we don't really know what to make of them since PET scans are different than X rays or straight-up CT scans. The hardest part of the day for me was being in the waiting room at the Cancer Center and seeing all the other people who are there being treated. It seemed to me that I was by far the youngest person in there, so it elicited some strong emotions (anger, mostly) that I had to accept and move through. The next step is the appointment I have with the lymphoma specialist on Friday and we will find out what the reports say from both the CT scan I got last Friday and today's PET/CT. I expect to have a staging diagnosis at that point and probably some ideas about what the treatment options are. I also have an appointment at the University of Michigan on Monday to have a running second opinion and ensure thoroughness as a course of treatment is determined.

No comments:

Post a Comment