Tonight at precisely 8pm EST, I injected myself with the final shot of the IVF process, human chorionic gonadotrophin. This will stimulate the eggs we've been encouraging to finish the maturation process so that they can be "retrieved" on Wednesday morning. As of this morning, there are 4 front runners (follicles that are at least 1.8cm) and 5 others that are potentially mature enough (greater than 1.5cm) to get fertilized. It's very exciting to have this all happening and only slightly gross to think of how the doctor is going to get them out. I'll spare you the details, and leave you with the idea that this may be the most unpleasant procedure I'll go through, including chemotherapy. I am looking forward to knowing how many eggs we got and how many of them get fertilized (on Thursday). They will then be frozen until we are able to use them.
The next phases will including starting chemo treatments and solidifying a plan to heal my healthy immune cells that will be caught in the crossfire. I am grateful that all of my professors at WMU are being supportive and flexible with me as I'm trying to keep up with the four classes I'm taking. It would be great to finish those classes on time in late April and then have the summer off from school. I am also hoping to have less responsibilities at work soon, but in the meantime I'm grateful to have a job that I enjoy and coworkers that I love working with.
No comments:
Post a Comment